Thread: {NT} Did this guy even WATCH the show?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry

Gah!! Ok.. this is the 3rd time I've tried to post...

Found this in my new "Entertainment Weekly"

Disclaimer: I didnt write this and I aint makin' no money from it. Yay... triple negative!

"There's also 'X-Men: Evolution', which offers poorly drawn and plotted adventures of the comic-book mutants and has recently introduced a character unique to the TV show, Spyke, an ernest creation who sprouts a thick layer of spikes when danger threatens. (For X-Menophiles, Spyke is the nephew of a veteran series character, Storm.) 'Evolution' is full of tolerance preachments- 'Dont fret it-embrace it,' one mutant will tell another; if only it had the superior art of almost any one of the multitude of 'X-Men' comic-book titles."

Grade: C-
    Review by Ken Tucker
    email: [email protected]

From that big ol' 3 sentence review it can be assumed that this goob didnt even watch the show. The animation on XM:E is better than "Batman Beyond" and I'm a fan of Bats! The style from the Fox series was so sloppy and chucky. XM:E is smooth and clean in comparison. The characters are also mellow. We dont have all that, "Scott!", "Jean!" garbage going on that made the show so over-the-top (in a bad way) and dramatic.

Normally I wouldnt say much to something like this but.. I have to wonder if the guy actually watched the show? Did he ever see the Fox series? Has he ever read an "X-Men" comic? He didnt even cite examples of the "poor" animation and storylines to convince non-viewers WHY he thinks it's a bad show.

BTW, the characters on "The Jackie Chan Adventures," that he gave a B+ to are, if I'm not mistaken, designed by Jeff Matsuda. If it's the same Jeff I'm thinking of, he was a former penciller for "X-Factor."

danielle

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

It's not called "Entertainment Weakly" for nuthin'

Seriously, the reviewers at that 'esteemed' mag are notorious for blasting something that later turns into a huge success. And then they backpedal and say they didn't know what they were smoking before. I've seen them give a movie a low grade when it's released and then boost it when it comes out on video.

They're just idiots.
    biggrin

------------------
    ~Award-winning designer of Norway's lovely crinkly edges.~

Inactive Member The French Biscuit's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Welcome to the world of reviewers! Ever since zhat Siskel guy,(of whaz it Ebert? I can't tell zhem apart) kicked zhe bucket all zhese morons have been crawling out from every pebble on zhe road!
    I'd like to see what zhis guy thought was a good show.
    *Possible dialogue*
    Reviewer guy: Well this show has lame dialoque and no plot, but damn that Pamela Anderson is hot! Baywatch gets an A+"
    rolleyes
    Iz zhat so far fetched? I zhink not.

~ Vive la France!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He left an email, why don't you write him and ask him if he actually watched it?

------------------
    It's all you need in souperheroes and haute cuisine:
    Culinary_X

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry

I agree with my fellow super-villianess!
    You should write this Ken Tucker fellow and ask him if his pea-sized brain can stand the depth and scope of the wonderful new X-Men cartoon. And, not coincidentally, my stunning performance in said cartoon.

That's right! I'm back! Did you think to get rid of me so easily? I still walk among you, unnoticed. And where is that hot Evil Mit man? I could use some protection in the kitchen....hehehe...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mystifie:
    [B]I agree with my fellow super-villianess!
    You should write this Ken Tucker fellow and ask him if his pea-sized brain can stand the depth and scope of the wonderful new X-Men cartoon. And, not coincidentally, my stunning performance in said cartoon.
    B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm tempted to write to him. BTW, the pic that they had printed was of Principal Darkholme morhping into Mystique whilst talking w/ Toad and the caption said: "Mystique works her mojo on 'X-Men'"

I'll leave any Austin Powers mojo jokes for the rest of you. smile

danielle

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Argh, entertainment journalism is so tacky (no offense to anyone who might happen to be in that industry.) Who was it who said that a critic is like a eunuch in a harem?

-Rex

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Wow, bad review. Not that I'm shocked. I read a couple of Entertainment Weekly reviews, and most of them tended to be low. Except for those movies that would definately Blockbusters. "Gladitor" and such. I don't put much stock in Movie Critics. Remember their name says it all. They Critize. Sorry about the spelling. Though I do like Ebert. While I don't usually agree with his reviews, he makes valid criticisms.

Unlike this guy who complains about bad art? Obviously he hasn't watched it. The animation is 100 times better than the Graz/Saban cartoon. I will say the orginal X-Men cartoon had more drawn detail. Yet, it didn't lend itself to animation very well. It tended to be bulky and jerky, movement wasn't very fluid.
    Maybe this guy read some of the anti-Evolution banter that was rampant on some messages boards. I am sure everyone has read a little of it, but all of it was before the cartoon aired. Once the show started most of the haters changed their tune. Oh its great. Except a stubborn few who didn't want to be wrong.

And I ramble.....sorry.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BAMFCentral:
    Obviously he hasn't watched it. The animation is 100 times better than the Graz/Saban cartoon. I will say the orginal X-Men cartoon had more drawn detail. Yet, it didn't lend itself to animation very well. It tended to be bulky and jerky, movement wasn't very fluid.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I didnt know better, I'd think you were a friend of mine who doesnt like X-Men. wink As much as he dislikes the books, he does like the new look of the cartoon and he HATED the Fox series. He said almost the same thing about it.

danielle